That said, I know there are things that we do need. The big ticket items don't stress me out nearly like the smaller ones! Here's the list that's currently bouncing around in my head. Where applicable I added a link to our current faves.
Big ticket items:
- Crib mattress
- Stroller (I hear angels sing when I see this stroller!)
- Rocker - I'm looking for a neutral (preferably gray) simple upholstered rocker that doesn't cost more than my car. I'll find it, but it hasn't happened yet!
- Wet bag for cloth diapers
- Changing table pad
- Changing table covers
- Crib sheets
- Small side table for rocker
- Tall floor lamp to go behind rocker
Small baby items:
- Set of cloth diapers
- Small diaper bag/changing system (I'm currently planning on going with a small system that I can throw in my purse, Jarrod doesn't feel silly carrying, or can fit on the stroller. Something big enough for just the essentials but small enough to carry around) and probably a small wet bag for the dirty stuff.
- Bath sponge (I read that this can be a wonderful thing rather than a baby bath tub because it stores easily and is very functional. Not to mention inexpensive!)
- Booster chair (Another space-saving purchase! I'd rather have one of these than a huge high chair in my kitchen...)
- Baby Bjorn - I love the idea of having the baby with us while we do life. This is manly enough that I'm sure Jarrod would love to wear it. ;-)
- Moby Wrap - I've heard great things about these wraps too. Especially for the little bitty baby. I plan to walk with our baby from the very beginning and a wrap like this, or the bjorn, seems more effective than the stroller. January can be cold and bundling up with the baby for a jaunt around the neighborhood seems to make sense.
- Breast pump - it is my desire to breastfeed for as long as possible (up to a year or so) if possible. A breast pump is going to be the only way to do this as I have a full-time job. Suggestions on the best ones? Is a double better than single? Is a $300 breast pump better than a $75 one?
Of course I know we'll also need clothing/onesies, socks, nursing paraphernalia, a few bottles, pacifiers, blankets, lovies, books, etc. Those are a given. I'm reading, researching, and weighing the pros and cons of a Moses basket vs. a pack 'n play. We'll probably need some sort of swing/bouncy chair item, but I'd rather not have 14 of these littering our house.
I'd love to hear from you moms who have been there - what was a really important product, item, purchase that made your life easier and your baby happier? What could you not live without in the first 6 months of your baby's life? What did you think you'd need but ended up not using? Any suggestions are welcome, even if they are on things I've already "decided" on. Obviously nothing is set in stone yet!