green rocker experiment. I learned that just because the rocker was free and all I had to do was paint it, doesn't make this a cheap project. Four cans of primer and three cans of green paint and we finally had a chair that was mostly solid green.
After allowing the chair plenty of time to dry in the garage (about 3 days) it was time to bring it back into the house!!
Meanwhile, I got to work on the cushion. I knew the perfect fabric was fabric from Wesley's nursery. It's beautiful and I have been looking for something to make with it. Because it's fairly girly, nursery projects were out. But it had all the colors we intend to use in our new living room, so it was perfect!
I planned to purchase foam to cover for the cushion but decided the bag of stuffing in the closet would work just fine. I measured the chair, cut my fabric 1/2" longer on all sides, made the ties, and got to sewing! I sewed two ties on each back corner and stuffed the seat before hand-stitching it closed.
Once the cushion was completed, I added a covered button. The kits are sold at any fabric store and are very simple to put together. I added one button on top and one on bottom and sewed them together. Easy peasy!
It has taken a home in the corner of our living room...the previous home to Wesley's swing, which has been relegated to the empty space between the kitchen and the living room. The colors aren't perfect right now and make the curtains look even worse, but once we begin the living room transformation, this rocker will fit right in!