I started by checking out craigslist for a dresser I could refinish. I liked the idea of doing something in a bright color. But I needed something small and low enough that it could function as a night stand. I couldn't find anything that I liked for under $200. I wasn't willing to pay more than $200 for something that I was going to essentially redo anyway. In fact, in the back of my mind, I really wanted something for under $100.
I found something perfect for less than $60 and I couldn't be more thrilled! If you follow me on instagram, perhaps you saw this beautiful photo a few weeks ago.
A month or so ago on a trip to IKEA I found this unfinished dresser for $35. It had everything I was looking for:
- Easy to repaint
- Not too tall or wide
We brought it home and it sat in the closet for another week or two while I finished some traveling. During that time I also decided on a color. I was debating between blue, green, and yellow, but I opted for blue. I matched this blue to a picture frame that we have. You can see it below in our picture collage! It is a perfect color.
Once I was done traveling, I took all the pieces out of the box and decided what needed to be painted and what didn't. I didn't want to waste my time painting the inside of the dresser. I primed the pieces that needed paint and left it to dry for 24 hours. Then it was time for the paint. I chose a high gloss paint and bought a quart. This was more than plenty. I think I used about a quarter of the can. Which makes I have plenty of paint left for other projects!
It took about 4 coats of paint before the coverage was perfect. I allowed it to dry for at least 12 hours between each coat. I did very light coats with a foam roller and an angled brush. In the midst of painting, I took the paint swatch to Hobby Lobby to see if I could find knobs to match. I wanted something that looked custom, was girly but not too frilly, and inexpensive.
$35 - Dresser from IKEA
$12 - knobs at Hobby Lobby ($3.99/knob and 50% off)
$11 - Quart of high gloss paint in Brilliant Blue
Free - Brushes and primer
You can see in the photo above that there are some changes in our pillow cases as well! I was looking for fun, colored sheets to bring some color to the room. It's a challenge to find high tread count sheets in fun colors that aren't too girly. We have high standards! Then it occurred to me that I didn't need sheets, I just needed pillow cases!
Amy Butler Just in Case Pillow Case pattern. It was incredibly easy to follow and they turned out perfectly. It's a subtle change, but it makes a huge impact in the room.
I can't say that the room is done yet, but it's definitely coming together!