Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Super Wesley!

It's been a little while since I shared a post about Wesley. It's about time! The kid is always on the move, plays HARD all day long, is stubborn, hard-headed, and just like his mama and dad. He's smart, funny, and laughs all.the.time. He is not always a joy to parent, but he lights up my world in incredible ways.

For a while I thought I wanted his big boy room to be Superman Wesley themed. I think we're going to go with dinosaurs (more on that another day!) but I still love the idea of a big super W for my maniac kid. I had a blue shirt that I got on sale to make for the 4th of July. I put a cute patriotic tie on it that I could easily remove with a seam ripper after the 4th of July. I don't see any need for Wesley to have a special shirt that he can wear 2-3 times a year. So I took the tie off and figured out what to do with it.


My genius sister suggested a Super Wes! Perfection! I purchased 1/4 of a yard of yellow and red fabric, red thread, and got to work.

First I found the Superman logo online. I found the most simple one I could. I opened it in photoshop, although I bet you could use any photo-editing program. Once open, I removed the S by paint bucketing whole middle section yellow. Then I laid a big W over it in a font that looked close. This is what I ended up with:
It's not perfect, but it's exactly what I needed. I printed this baby and got to tracing! First, I cut out the red fabric. Because I planned to use heat n bond, I put that under the red and cut it with my rotary cutter. It wasn't easy to get in all those little areas, but I got it! The yellow fabric was much easier because I just cut one big piece - the diamond shape. I also lined it with the heat n bond.

Once these two pieces were done, I ironed the red to the yellow. I prayed that it would fit together and it did! Then I ironed on the yellow to the t-shirt. I centered it on the front and ironed until it was all fused together.

I could have stopped here, but I knew I wanted the crest to be super secure. So I set the stitch to a thick and wide zigzag and got to going around each.and.every.edge.

It actually didn't take as long as I thought and I think sewing the edges makes it look really nice!
I don't know why I didn't cut out the bottom like in the computer image. I guess that's a tracing error. Oops! It still looks really awesome. Perhaps someday I'll velcro a cap to the shoulders. Until then, I'm super proud of how it came out. Of course I couldn't get a picture of the boy actually wearing it. He puts it on and like a flash - he's gone!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips