So here I am. In a bit of a funk.
Some of the things I'm thinking about are:
- Jen Hatmaker's book Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith, particularly the part about how busy she was blessing the blessed. I'm anxious to get through this book. I want to know how she got from where she is in Interrupted to where she got to in 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess . Perhaps I should have read the books in chronological order.
- Living a natural life and cutting out chemicals as much as possible. We've lived a pretty clean life in terms of food for a while - very few preservatives, no cans or boxes, and pretty natural "real" food. We've begun to take that further with our CSA membership. We are incorporating organic foods into our diet more regularly. We're conscious about purchasing in season and local foods. We plan to switch to a different food co-op in the fall (we're leaning towards Urban Acres for you local DFW folks!) and are excited about checking out their store.
- Cutting out unnecessary medicines and cleaning supplies, we're starting to learn more about essential oils. We have begun to use them to treat Wesley's teething and allergies for all of us. I'm excited to add some lemon to my homemade cleaners. The vinegar smell is not appetizing at all! I know there are other awesome uses and I'm excited to try them. Jarrod's not exactly on board but at least he's allowing me to experiment. :-)
- And for more chemical-cutting thoughts, I've given up diet coke indefinitely. I have always felt a tugging to cut it off cold turkey. I can go several weeks, but usually for no reason and jump back on the one-per-day band wagon quickly. Recently I've been convicted about the harmful chemicals in diet coke (and coke zero, my real addiction!) and have cut it off. I am sure I'll still have one from time to time, but for now, I'm clean! My toughest time avoiding diet coke is at restaurants. We don't keep any at home, so it's not tempting there. So far I've been able to resist and stick with water!
- I am running a work conference later this week. Jarrod is coming with me to lead worship. This means Jarrod and I will have two nights away from Wesley. I absolutely hate leaving him - especially the allergy-snot, teething mess that he is right now. On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to some time away. My head feels perpetually cloudy. I am forever exhausted and it seems that no amount of sleep, exercise, or water can snap me out of it. Perhaps this is the cause of my funk. While I'll be working hard to be sure the conference goes off without a hitch, I'm excited for some time away and hope to get a little relaxing in!
- I recently read Kelle Hampton's latest blog about discontentment and it resonated with me. Perhaps ironically because one of my latest posts was about contentment... Is it possible to be generally content and specifically discontent at the same time? That's how I'm feeling right now. Content overall with the days, but discontent in the minutes.
I hope to be back later this week to share some more CSA recipes and what we've been cooking lately. Until then, I'd love to hear how you snap yourself out of a funk.