Friday, October 18, 2013

We made it!

I've been meaning to write this post all week. Coming back after a week of vacay/business trip was tough. I was exhausted and busy this week, but I wanted to give you an update of our trip to New Jersey. If you missed part one, check it out the first half of my trip of traveling with a toddler alone.

Thankfully, we made it home safely without incident! We arrived at Newark plenty early. I navigated getting out tickets printed and our luggage checked with Wesley in his stroller. He wasn't thrilled, but we got it. We made it through security easily. I knew a little better what to expect this time and felt much more confident. Shoes off, laptop out, stroller folded, everything on belt, and carry Wesley through the detector. Then do it all in reverse. Bam.

Once we were through security, we began walking. The terminal was incredibly small and we did about 15 laps before settling at the gate. We got on the plane and found an empty row. I prepared myself (and prayed for!) rowmates, but they never came. Jackpot. We had the whole row to ourselves! It was amazing. Of course Wesley still had to be in my lap for take-off and landing, but during the flight, we had plenty of room to spread out. He loved pulling the magazines out and tearing them up. He loved tossing his books on the floor and jumping around. He loved sitting in the middle seat and watching Dinosaur Train. He ate a ton of snacks and near the end of our trip he gave up and went for a walk up and down the aisle. We also attempted the bathroom on the plane. Not my finest moment, but you do what you gotta do. Definitely no room for changing a diaper in there! So I changed him in the row. Couldn't have done that with others in our row!

We arrived in Houston around 6pm local time. We had 2 hours to wander, eat dinner, and walk. Wesley was getting loopy from lack of sleep - no nap and it was bedtime. We shared a piece of pizza, changed into his dino jammies, and began walking. It was a larger terminal and we walked it over 10 times. About 3 miles according to my pedometer!

By the time we got on the plane, Wesley was exhausted and I was running on fumes. I was 7 days into single parenthood (minus the time with my family, which was AWESOME!) and I was ready for Jarrod. We waited to get on the plane and Wesley almost drifted off to sleep. No such luck. We got on the plane and he started to lose it. He didn't want me to hold him on the plane. But obviously, he didn't have another option. The flight attendants were asking everyone to find a seat, it was a very full flight. Fabulous. I silently prayed for the person or people that would be forced to sit with a crabby, overtired toddler.

Our seatmate sat down as Wesley screamed for me to put him down. I looked at her and told her that she was very brave. Long story short, God blessed us with the most wonderful seatmate. She'd just left her fiance to go back to Scotland and she was flying back home to Dallas. They'd be separated until Christmas and were getting married in April. Bless her sweet heart. She was a nanny in college and had a fabulous view of church. She asked me if I'd read Jen Hatmaker. Obviously that won me over. :-) We sat on the runway for nearly 30 minutes and it went so quickly. What a refreshing end to our trip.

Wesley did great on the flight home. He didn't like waiting on the runway, but once we were in the air, he watched dinosaur train and we were home! The flight was very bumpy, but Wesley wasn't phased at all. It scared mama to death, but I toughed it out. Before we knew it, we were saying goodbye to our new friend and headed out to see daddy!

We were exhausted, but made it! We were both so happy to see Jarrod. He had flowers for me and hugs for both of us. We slept in on Sunday morning and skipped Sunday school. We made it in time for church, but Wesley was still drowsy enough to sit in my lap during church. It was unusually awesome.

I'll write more about what we did on our trip and share some amazing pictures next week. I may also write about the car accident that I was in on my way home from church on Sunday. (Don't worry, I'm fine, Wesley wasn't with me, and I'm driving in a killer awesome rental.) I may also right about the incredible pitfalls we've had since becoming debt-free.

Thanks for hanging out with me. I promise to write more soon. There's a lot going on in my world!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips