Thursday, July 31, 2014

Journey to our little girl - chapter 2: Getting a lawyer!

I shared yesterday about how we met and were chosen to adopt a precious baby girl. This is what happened next.

The first few hours were bliss. Jarrod and I were excited! We called our parents and told them the fantastic news. We ordered pizza and celebrated. But by 9pm or so, I was panicked. I googled private adoptions and quickly became overwhelmed. It's like googling headache symptoms and assuming you have cancer. I was overwhelmed - we'd need a lawyer, home study, and $100,000 by morning. We were months behind schedule and had to kick it into high gear. The internet completely freaked me out.

I didn't sleep well that night...or most of the next 3 weeks. I woke up at 5:30am and went for a 3 mile walk before Wesley got up...and then went for another 2.5 mile walk before church. My mind was swimming. Don't get too excited. This could fall through. She's not your baby yet. Adoptions are expensive. I prayed a lot for God to guide us.

On Monday I was sick to my stomach almost all day. I called and e-mailed lawyers. I had friends pull strings for us. I carried my phone everywhere I went - even the bathroom. I researched and wondered what to do. Finally at 4pm I finally got a lawyer that I trusted. He explained the process, outlined the fees, and eased most of my insecurities. I spoke with Jarrod about it and by Friday was filling out the paperwork and writing a large check. We dropped it in the mail on Saturday, May 3rd. It was exciting, but I was still completely overwhelmed.

In order to combat some of the intense anxiety I was feeling, I began working on the nursery. I set up a super girly private pinterest board and went to town. I bought about 20 yards of pink fabric that first week and began sewing curtains. I opted for the pinkest pink room for baby girl. I sewed ruffled pink curtains (they took 20+ hours!), created crib sheets and pillow cases, and planned to move Wesley's furniture to her room. I made a list and began checking things off of it.

I took our potential birth mother to breakfast one Saturday morning. My tension left. She was delightful and very wise. She liked us and wanted us to raise her baby. I adored meeting her and could have spent the entire day just learning about her. This meeting lowered my anxiety. I began to calm down. I trusted that God was taking care of the details. I tried to enjoy the ride...this beautiful journey we were chosen to go on with such a precious family.

We went to IKEA and got some new furniture for Wesley's room. I wasn't ready to move him out of the crib yet, but we did get a dresser and bookshelf for him in a dark wood tone - no more baby white in his big boy room! He handled the transitions like a champion. We moved the changing table/dresser into the new pink bedroom, situated the recliner in the corner, and folded baby clothes for the dresser. I got Wesley's old clothes out and sorted out some of the gender neutral things that will work for baby girl.

Because of the nature of this adoption, as many adoptions, we are keeping things a secret from most everyone. We don't want to "untell" people and definitely don't want things facebook official yet. We tell our bosses and our besties, but the rest of the world probably thinks we're just losing our minds. :-) I have pregnancy brain, probably from lack of sleep and incredible things consuming most of my brain, but nothing to blame it on. :-)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips